Special Scholarship Program in Kochi University (Japan)
Application Guideline for Special Scholarship Program (SSP)
1. PROGRAM OF STUDY
Doctoral Program (3 years)
Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering
2. NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO BE ADMITTED
To be decided
3. ENROLLMENT TIME
4. SCHOLARSHIP TERM
*The term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated in paragraph 12 below, Termination of SSP Student Status.
(1) The SSP student must work as a research assistant in a specific research project.
*However, the total paid working hour per week for students with "Student" status of Japanese redidence, should not exceed 28 hours per week.
(2) The SSP student must report his/her study and research achievements to the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering at the end of each semester. The submitted reports will be evaluated.
(1) International applicants are exempted from 300,000 yen of enrollment fee.
(2) Tuition of 535,800 yen (per year) will be exempted.
(3) 240,000 yen per year as a SSP Scholarship upon application.
(4) Up to 960,000 yen per year for working as a research assistant.
(5) 200,000 yen for travel and initial living costs. (given only to foreign students who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, "Student" status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan)
7. ELIGIBILITY Applicants are required to meet all of the following conditions
(1) To have nationality other than Japanese.
(2) To have or have the intention to acquire the "Student" status of Japanese residence, at the time of entrance, in accordance with the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act in Japan.
(3) To have or to be expected to acquire a master's degree before enrollment.
(4) To have excellent academic records in both bachelor's and master's degrees.
(5) To be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment.
(6) To have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work as a research assistant in one of the research projects listed here.
(7) To have high English proficiency.
8. APPLICATION PROCESS
(1) Choose a research project from the SSP Research Project List.
(2) Complete and submit all required documents.
*Please refer to List for SSP Application Documents
9. ADMISSION DECISION
The submitted documents will be carefully examined in the course of the first screening. Only applicants who are successful in that screening will then be examined in such forms as an interview, an English written exam, an academic achievement written exam in the specialized field required for the conduct of the selected research project, etc. The interview and other formalities will be held at a place that will be appointed separately (hopefully in your home country).
11. SPECIAL NOTICE
(1) If you are still working towards your master's degree, a verified original master's degree certificate in English or Japanese from your university will be required before your enrollment can be completed. If you are not able to produce such a document, you will not be enrolled.
(2) In any case where a SSP Student is selected as a recipient of another institution's scholarship, the scholarship as described in 6-(3) will be canceled, and his/her monthly pay for working as a research assistant will be adjusted.
(3) KUT will provide appropriate single accommodation for successful applicants whose resident status in Japan is “Student.” If you desire to bring your family members and live with them in Japan, you must initiate your own apartment rental.
(4) To complete the doctoral program as a SSP Student, you need to meet all of the following conditions.
(a) 3 year's enrollment in the school
(b) 10 or more credits
(c) successful completion of the doctoral thesis defense after receiving a preliminary assessment held more than one year in advance
(d) publication of two or more high level reviewed papers
(5) Students enrolled in this program can obtain Doctor of Philosophy.
(6) Newly admitted doctor students will be charged about 30,000JPY as insurance premium.
(7) 3,000JPY will be charged as dues for alumni association membership.
12. TERMINATION OF SSP STUDENT STATUS
SSP student status will be terminated in the following cases
(1) In the case where a student's report, submitted in accordance with term 5-(2), is assessed as being below the standard for SSP students.
(2) In the case of behavior which is deemed inappropriate for a SSP student.
13. OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE
All inquiries and application documents must be addressed to:
International Relations Division
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada, Kami City
Kochi 782-8502, JAPAN